A false flag operation is simply an action in which the perpetrator intends for the blame (or credit) to be placed on a different party. The term originally comes from the naval concept of flying another country’s flag to deceive and confuse other ships.
Here we are concerned mostly with false flag terrorism””terror by states, organizations, and agencies which is meant to be pinned on others in order to influence policy, public opinion, or military aggression.
False flag operations are a classic tool of deception and espionage. Intelligence agencies are usually linked to most false flag terrorism.
False flag terror by a state upon its own population can be a powerful tool of control. False flag operations can range from intentional provocation or “letting things happen,” all the way up to outright orchestration.
Probably the most basic motive for a false flag incident would be to frame the enemy for an act of aggression or barbarism in order to justify a supposed “defensive” response. It is essentially a way of making it appear that the other side “threw the first punch.”
Many of the most prominent conflicts of the twentieth century were initiated, and gained the necessary public support, based on false incidents, intelligence, and journalism. The public does not generally support war unless provided a relatively just cause. At present diverse populations worldwide recognize that few wars if any have been justified.
With weapons being a primary world industry and one of the most profitable, we can be certain that conflict will be promoted or not averted by corporations with cooperative governments and individuals seeking profit and market dominance.
While we don’t claim that all the events in this section are 100% confirmed false flag operations, there is compelling evidence in each case that the official story is incomplete and the identity of the true perpetrators/facilitators is in doubt.
A Few Likely False Flag Operations:
- 1605 – The infamous Guy Fawkes plot to blow up the English Parliament. Actually an institutional false flag plot used as a pretext for war with Spain. Official history still repeats this deception. 2
- 1898 – The sinking of the USS Maine in Havana harbor was immediately pinned on the Spanish and the rallying call became, “Remember the Maine! To hell with Spain.” William Randolph-Hearst enflamed anti-Spanish sentiment in his papers by claiming definitively that it was a Spanish plot. No reliable evidence was ever produced linking Spain to the event. It is now widely believed that the event was a mechanical failure or false flag operation.
- 1933 – The Reichstag Fire allows the Nazis to crack down on their opposition and take power. A naked cowering Dutch communist, Martin Van der Lubbe, is found on the scene and the Nazis immediately claim that the fire is a communist plot.“The exact sequence of events will never be known, but Nazi storm troopers under the direction of Hermann GÃ¶ring were also involved in torching the place. They had befriended the arsonist and may have known or even encouraged him to burn the Reichstag that night. The storm troopers, led by SA leader Karl Ernst, used the underground tunnel that connected GÃ¶ring’s residence with the cellar in the Reichstag. They entered the building, scattered gasoline and incendiaries, then hurried back through the tunnel.” 3
- After World War II, Operation Gladio was a “stay behind” operation by NATO, CIA, and MI6 to counter communist/leftist influence in Europe. These state-sponsored “secret armies” used false flag terrorism against their populations in order to frame left wing groups, influence elections, and justify increased “security.” Gladio has been confirmed by various governments and condemned by the European Parliament.
- 1954 – The Lavon Affair, a “scandal over a failed Israeli covert operation in Egypt known as Operation Suzannah, in which U.S. and U.K. targets in Egypt were bombed and evidence left implicating the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood; a textbook example of a false flag operation.” 4