Dr. Weeks’ Comment: The immune enhancing benefits of high CBD strains of medical marijuana are too huge to ignore. So many cancer patients are grateful to have been introduced to medical marijuana, not for appetite stimulation or anti-nausea effects, but for its anti-cancer benefits. No caring adult endorses a kid getting high to the degree that atrophy of will forces takes place and he or she wakes up, age 30 (!!), with nothing accomplished and no life plan in place. But as a doctor who initially was very biased against medical marijuana, only to be astonished at the brilliant and persuasive research into its benefits, I am pleased to share the following highlights from 2013~…
1. HIV/AIDS: Gov. Backed Study Shows Cannabinoid Receptors Are Key To Fighting Disease: Indeed, the use of cannabinoid drugs in patients with HIV is associated with an increase, rather than a decrease, in CD4+ T cell number and has been shown to reduce viral load in SIV infected rhesus macaques. It is possible that novel CB2R-specific agonists and allosteric modulators that exert potent anti-viral activity without inducing immunosuppression could be identified. Further study of cannabinoids and other neuroendocrine regulators that selectively modulate immune function may result in the discovery of new anti-viral drugs that can also mitigate AIDS-associated symptoms.
2. Harvard Medical School: Government Backed Study Using Humans Finds THC Could Treat PTSD: A recently performed randomized, study backed by the National Institute of Mental Health, and conducted by researchers at; University of Michigan Harvard Medical School University of Illinois have discovered promising evidence pointing to the cannabis plant cannabinoids as a potential treatment for the primary symptoms associated with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
3. Marijuana Research: CBD Cannabinoid Have Neuroprotective Effects: Scientist from the University Hospital Puerta de Hierro Majadahonda, located in Madrid, Spain, studied the effect of CBD cannabinoids when applied to a hypoxic-ischemic (HI) brain injury model (most common in instances such as cardiac arrest, when blood flow stops or slows, and oxygen can’t effectively reach the brain).
4. Marijuana May Be A Gastroprotectant, According to New Study: A sweet new study preformed by scientist in Hungary have discovered evidence that indicate marijuana / cannabis may beneficial as a gastroprotectant. Per the Oct, 2013 study; “Stimulation of central angiotensin AT1 receptors via activation of cannabinoid CB1 receptors [something which cannabis does naturally] induces gastroprotection in a DAGL-dependent and vagus-mediated mechanism.”
5. Cannabidiol, a Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Compound, Inhibits Proliferation of Glioma Cells: A recent study from an Italian University and published by the National Institute of Health has reported that marijuana’s cannabidiol – the non-psychoactive CBD cannabinoid – has been shown to have ruthlessly attack tumor cells- prohibiting advancement – by altering “multiple tumoral features and molecular pathways.”
6. American Herbal Pharmacopoeia Classified Marijuana as a Botanical Medicine: In an historic move, the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia (AHP) released the first installation of a two-part Cannabis monograph yesterday that classifies cannabis (marijuana) as a botanical medicine, alongside many other widely accepted Complementary and Alternative Medicines. Written and reviewed by the world’s leading experts, the Cannabis monograph brings together an authoritative compendium of scientific data, including long-awaited standards for the plant’s identity, purity, quality, and botanical properties. The monograph provides a foundation for health care professionals to integrate cannabis therapy into their practices on the basis of a full scientific understanding of the plant, its constituent components, and its biologic effects.
7.CBDV Cannabinoid Represses Seizures, Claims a New Study: New research out of the United Kingdom, and published by the national Institute of health have discovered that the CBDv cannabinoid – another non-psychoactive cannabinoid, which naturally occurs in the marijuana plant – may potentially decrease the severity of seizures in both adults and children.
8. Alcohol Vs. Weed: Oct. 2013 Study Shows Booze Causes More Car Accidents Than Pot: According to the Technical University of Denmark, Department of Transport; “It is concluded that among psychoactive substances alcohol still poses the largest problem in terms of driver risk of getting injured.”
9. Harvard Research Shows Cannabis Does Not Cause Psychosis: Harvard – New research published in the journal Schizophrenia Research has discovered evidence that marijuana smoking, despite how often or in what amount, will not lead to an increase in schizophrenia, despite decades of false claims to the contrary.
10. New Research: Marijuana’s Activation of the Endocannabinoid System May Help Grow New Stem Cells: Explosive new research published in the December issue of the Journal biochemical Society transactions – and also published by the national Institute of health, discovered that the brains endocannabinoid system has incredible neuroprotective qualities…and could well lead to the growth of new stem cells.