Dr. Weeks’ Comment: Black cumin seed (Nigella sativa) is a natural anti-inflammatory agent which is a primary ingredient in SOUL the organic non-GMO delicious healing drink which many people take in order to require less medications. One ingredient in Black cumin seed is thymoquinine which is so healing that it inspires many patents.
Let’s look at the patents:
1) Enhance treatment of Diabetes (US 6,042,834)
2) Increase immune function (US 5,482,711)
3) For treatment of viral infection, particularly infections with hepatitis B virus or hepatitis C virus (US 6,841,174)
4) For treatment of psoriasis (US 6,531,164)
5) Treatment and/or prophylaxis of asthma/allergy (UK – EP1709995)
What about using seeds as anti-cancer agents? Well here is what US patent #5653981 entitled Use of Nigella Sativa to a) reduce side-effects of chemotherapy (now that would be welcome!) and b) increase Immune Function tells us about black cumin seed, the main ingredient in SOUL:
6) Prevention of side effects of anticancer chemotherapy (US 5,653,981)
“A pharmaceutical composition for treatment of cancer and other conditions and the prevention of side effects of anticancer chemotherapy and increasing the immune function contains an extract of the plant Nigella sativa.” and here are the claims:
“1. A pharmaceutical unit dosage form for the inhibition of cancer cell growth in humans consisting essentially of a cancer cell growth-inhibiting amount of an extract from Nigella sativa wherein the amount is within a range of from about 0.3 g/kg body weight to about 0.6 g/kg body weight and a pharmaceutically-suitable carrier.
2. A method for inhibiting the growth of cancer cells without affecting nontumor cells in a human cancer patient in need thereof comprising administering to the patient a cancer cell growth-inhibiting amount of an extract from Nigella sativa, wherein the amount is effective to inhibit the growth of the cancer cells without affecting nontumor cells.” [ 25 ]
Here is the most recent patent:
7) Patent for Inflammation and Urinary Cystitis (US8029831)
1. A method of treating inflammation associated with idiopathic cystitis in animals which comprises administering to an animal suffering signs or symptoms of idiopathic cystitis a composition comprising effective amounts of a thymoquinine-enriched oil extract fraction from the ground seeds of Nigella sativa and at least one component selected from the group consisting of cranberry fruit, cranberry extract, cranberry juice, and methionine, whereby the oil extract fraction is obtained by:
(a) extracting the ground Nigella sativa seeds with supercritical carbon dioxide at 120-130 bar at 40° C. for 6 hours to obtain a fraction and collecting the fraction;
(b) extracting the ground Nigella sativa seeds with supercritical carbon dioxide at 160-190 bar at 60° C. for 2 hours to obtain a fraction and collecting the fraction; or
(c) extracting the ground Nigella sativa seeds with supercritical carbon dioxide at 200 bar at 50° C. for 10 hours to obtain a fraction and collecting the fraction; and continuing administration until said signs or symptoms are reduced or eliminated.
For more information
about the way you can benefit from Nigella sativa (Black cumin seed) watch this WEBINAR
where Dr. Weeks explains the benefits to doctors.
See also www.eattheseeds.com and call SAFALAB with any questions 360-341-2303