THE WONDERFUL CASTOR OIL PACK
The castor bean (Oleum ricini), also known as Palma Christi, due to its shape and “divine” healing properties, is known principally as a cathartic (strong laxative). A gentler use is in the form of a pack placed over the abdomen, usually with heat applied. The oil is absorbed into the lymphatic circulation to provide a soothing, cleansing, and nutritive treatment.
The castor oil pack has many applications for the enhancement of immunity.
Materials Needed: castor oil, 2 sheets of plastic (garbage bags OK), 36″ x 18″ white cotton or wool flannel, heating pad or hot water bottle, old sheet, wool blanket, pillows baking soda
1. Fold flannel into 3 thickness to fit over your entire abdomen.
2. Soak flannel with the castor oil. Fold flannel in half and strip excess oil from pack. Unfold.
3. You can then heat the entire pack in a microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Lay wool blanket, old sheet, large sheet of plastic and old towel out on the surface you will be lying on. This will prevent STAINING.
5. Lie on your back, with your feet elevated (use of a pillow under your knees and feet works well), placing flannel over abdomen, cover with a small sheet of plastic and towel and then place a heating pad or hot water bottle on top.
6. Wrap yourself in the sheet and wool blanket.
7. Leave pack on for 45-60 minutes. This is an excellent time to now practice visualization, mediation or relaxation breathing. (This involves placing 1 hand on your diaphragm and the other on your lower abdomen. As you breathe in, force your lower abdomen to swell like a balloon. With each breath out, practice relaxing your jaw and shoulders. As you practice more, relax all muscles in your body. Alternatively, to these you may just sleep. Some people will wear the pack all night using an ace bandage to hold it in place.
- After finishing, to remove the oil, wash with a solution of 2 tablespoons of baking soda to 1 quart water or BioKleen Citrus soap.
9. Store the pack in your fridge in a large zip-lock bag. Reuse the pack several times, adding more oil as needed to keep the pack saturated. Replace the pack after it begins to change color.
10. For maximum effectiveness, it is necessary to apply the pack as often as possible. Try for at least 4 consecutive days per week for at least 4-6 weeks. Patients who use the pack daily will receive the most beneficial effects.